Thanks to everyone who made it out to the meeting today, Saturday September 12th at Westenfield Park! We had a great coach's meeting with the following YG's coaches:
2. Share new goals for this semester
a. Continue to partner with other running and biking groups in order to keep spreading our mission of making fitness fun.
b. Increase our Eanes ISD market by adding more running and biking groups to new schools.
3. YG’s events we are promoting
a. Epic Race – October 17th http://www.jeremiahprogram.org/locations/austin/
i. The Epic Race that is a fundraiser for the Jeremiah Program, an organization that is helping single moms get a degree while providing them housing and childcare services. The Epic Race is a fun and casual fundraiser that will take place Saturday, October 17 starting at 6pm at a private home near the Salt Lick. There are 12 teams of 20 participants that will take part in fun events such as
egg toss, volleyball with an oversized ball, etc. I believe that Ignite is one of the teams. Prior to each event, two teams will each have one coach/referee that will give them the rules and help them out. This is where you and Young Guns can come in. We are looking for six coaches to help out that night.
b. Speedsters Cross Country Run – September 25th
c. Run to the Sun Fun Run – Friday March 4th
4. Group Sharing
a. What works:
b. What you need:
c. New ideas:
We had a great coach's meeting Saturday, January 24th at Mozarts. Thanks to the following people for showing up:
Here are some ideas people shared for what works at their running/biking group:
Thanks so much for everyone who made it to the meeting on September 6th at Mozarts. Here are some of the highlights from the meeting:
Thanks to everyone who made it out to our coach's meeting on Thursday, January 16th. We came up with some great ideas, one of them being creating a Coach's Corner to share ideas. Here is what took place at our meeting Monday:
- Meet as a group of coaches twice a semester (once before groups start and once towards the end)
- Collaborate more with other YG's coaches as well as other Austin runners
- Continue to acknowledge our runners from all our groups with Athlete of the Month
- Continue to market our groups to new audiences with postcards and flyers
- Sponsor an exchange station for the Run to the Sun ($500 donation)
LONG TERM GOALS:
- Have a part of YG's as a nonprofit status
- Create a high school scholarship (two $500 scholarships a year)
- Create a kids Duathlon (possibly at Camp Mabry)
Our focus is on improving running & biking endurance and overall fitness, develop
YG's Group Rules
Here are some traditions we'd like to try to use across all groups.
- To help with pacing, animal terms:
- Last 2 to 3 minutes as an entire group to share announcements.
- If there are any upcoming birthdays or events runners are running in, participants circle around the honoree, run in place, and the person in the middle shouts out Young while the runners around the circle shout guns (repeat 4 to 5 times)